Photo: Tourism Whistler / Mike Crane
Many think of fall as a time to get cozy, stay in doors and hibernate from the rain until the snow comes. But in reality, the arrival of autumn brings more things to do, especially in Whistler. One of the exciting things going on is Fall For Arts. Put on by Arts Whistler and stretching from September through to December, Fall for Arts encompasses music, visual treats and other kinds of creativity. During this time, events and activities will take place all over Whistler and with an underlying tie to culture. Here are some not to miss Fall for Arts events!
BC Culture Days
An interactive adventure that spans the whole of Whistler village with emphasis on the Audain Art Museum, Whistler Public Library, The Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre and The Maury Yound Arts Centre. Throughout the weekend exciting activities will be taking place at each location. To find out when, what, and where, download a Culture Map.
DATE: September 29th- October 1st
- The Audain Art Museum will have FREE ADMISSION on Thursday, September 28 from 6pm-7:30pm.
- FREE drop in lantern decorating on Friday, September 29 and Saturday, September 30 at The Maury Young Arts Centre.
- The Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre Ambassadors will open the official BC Culture Days Opening Ceremony with traditional drumming and Welcome Song.
Whistler Writers Festival
Celebrating their 16th year, the Whistler Writers Festival is a weekend packed with readings, workshops, speaker panels, spoken word events, music and even food.
DATE: October 12th- October 14th
- Speed Dating: Pitch Your Book/Idea To Publishers And Editors. This event is always a hit. Participants have 15 minutes to pitch or even come to ask questions about getting work published in the future.
- Tasting The Divine: Cooks With Books. Enjoy appetizers from chefs that will be at the event to discuss their books.
- Writing Workshop For Young Writers. Participants work in small groups on a supervised exercise.
Cornucopia is a 10 day celebration of food and drink. Tastings, seminars, workshops and parties will fill participants days and take them on a culinary journey!
DATE: November 9th-November 19th
- Nourish Mountain Tune Up – Roll To Shred: Learn what to eat to move better, mountain longer, and recover quicker!
- Crush Grand Tasting: Attendees to will sip new wines amid a glamorous party.
Arts Whistler Holiday Market
Visit the Whistler Conference Centre and get in the holiday spirit with over 100 vendors from the Sea to Sky region and across BC displaying their artisan goods.
DATE: November 25th and 26th
- Visits from Santa
- Live Music
Whistler Film Festival
Celebrate the art of film through screenings, events, special guests and talent programs.
DATE: November 29th- December 3rd
- Grand Finalé Festival Party at the Longhorn
- Opening or closing Gala where two of the top films of the festival will be played. Reception and party to follow.
- Signature Series recognizes artists and honours them with an award and an interview, complimented by a feature presentation of their most recent film.
Fall For Arts is a time to celebrate culture all over Whistler, fill the void before the snow hits and the ski season starts! Book your stay at the Listel to take part in one or more of these wonderful fall events!